Sunday, 7 October 2007

An apple a day upsets your sense of proportion ~ Bid ~


I just painted an apple. Two actually. But the first looked like an apple only until I painted the second, the first no longer looked like an apple by comparison to the second. I wondered, as I always do at times like this, "If I paint a third apple will the second then look as unlike itself as the first did compared to it?". This is a fairly good example of how thinking can interrupt the otherwise blissful thing of painting. It also reminds me of the old line about the golden ratio "The shorter is to the longer as the longer is to the whole.' If I were to paint a series of apples receading in a spiral across a rectangular universe I could call it 'Golden Delicious'. If you don't know the golden ratio you ought to. Find it here :-

(But beware, you'll begin to find it everywhere...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

.99 cent auction, bid by clicking the title above.

No comments: