Tuesday, 31 March 2009

Talking About Why...

I gave a talk at a local school this morning. The art teacher wanted the children to get a sense that there are artists working in the community. After a brief intro I spoke to the children about my work and they told me about a project they are working on.
One child asked me when I started painting and I told him I just never stopped. I hadn't thought too much about that before but it's true. Most of the kids in the class will stop drawing at some point and maybe one or two will continue. But for some reason most will stop doing something that comes naturally to them now. Art is a means of expression, a valuable form of communication, that will for some reason become irrelevant to them.

I'll return to the school again tomorrow and in this case I'll give some practical tuition (hopefully) in pen & ink line art.

No comments: